Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Simplicity is Key

255-365 Winter Pansies

"One of the most profound effects of inward simplicity is the rise of an amazing spirit of contentment. Gone is the need to strain and pull to get ahead. In rushes a glorious indifference to position, status, or possession. Living out of this wonderful Center causes all other concerns to fade into insignificance."

I find myself once again in the throes of Holy Week, the last week of Lent that is set aside for commemorating the last week of the earthly life of Jesus. People are in a frenzy getting to sea and airports, driving their vehicles to hometowns and various vacation spots. I don't want to be caught up in vacation mode and end it with just having had seen places of note, eaten their delicacies, and brought home trinkets and other such ephemera.

Not that i don't enjoy all those. I very much do. But more than the outward things, i want my inner landscape to have been refreshed, cleansed, deepened. To achieve simplicity is quite a complex process. Talk about the paradox of things.

It is easy to slip into going with the flow and taking the easy road. I must ensure quality time for much introspection and prayer. I need to distinguish between what is essential and what is not. A lot of self-discipline looms in the days to come. Already, this is becoming complex as i overly concern myself about it.

Note to self: simplify.