Monday, January 24, 2011

Breathe Easy

Poppy, Closer
Photo by Timothy K. Hamilton's photos on Flickr


A couple of days ago i got another invitation to a Silent Retreat. Too bad i cannot join this batch -- a mix of lay and pastoral people, seekers, acquaintances and friends, strangers, and regular folk who desire to take a meaningful and very restful break sans any form of distraction (and noise) from electrical implements and technological devices.

A couple of years ago when i participated i got a good three days of just resting in silence, communing solely with my self, with nature, and with my bed even (retreatants are given the liberty to sleep as long as they want). It was a much welcome "wasting of time" and boredom for the harried and harrassed of us. Aside from the temporary stepping back from the usual rhythm of my life, the retreat helped me to gain new perspective on stuff in my life i needed to see differently. Much as it was an opportunity to learn new things about myself it also gave me a chance to remember and feel again essentials i have forgotten. Stuff like gratitude, simplicity, contentment. There are some things we can learn, or know, or remember only in silence.

And best of all as i hid nothing from my Maker and opened myself up to His whispers, i received a pervading sense of precious peace. I rediscovered the goodness and strength in me. And despite the struggles and challenges still waiting for me on my return, i could breathe easy.