Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Friends Add Value to Survival

black on white (still life)
photo by D4LE's photos on Flickr

When a friend in dire need of company calls we need to be there.

Just got off the receiver talking with a friend, frantic over stuff in his life blowing up in his face. The need to sound off the heaviness in his chest was clear. Good thing we are just a stone's throw away from each other. The proposal to talk over a cup -- make it cups -- of coffee will certainly lead to dinner followed by more rounds of coffee or even soda laced with a little vodka.

I was in the same boat exactly a week ago when i got so upset, i immediately called my friend from the other side of the metropolis and took her to task of meeting up with me pronto. I am thankful i have friends like her in my life who put up with my demands when the road gets rough. They help me sort out the confused mass of wefts and warps rolled out before me.

How life's strains are eased just by those conversations...
Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art . . . It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.
~C. S. Lewis