Friday, August 19, 2011

Layer Upon Layer


Going back to the dermatologist today for a Diamond Peel treatment. I'm excited to have old skin sloughed off including all the impurities that have taken up space in there. I love the metaphor of "peeling back the layers of an onion" --- used this once to introduce a  very good friend who was about to address an audience. The essence of a person is not found in the topmost layers obvious to everyone. Instead one needs to go deeper to the core to get to that savory part.

I find my spiritual journey quite slow and oftentimes disappointing. There is a  layer i wish i were on, yet am not. But then it dawned on me that it is okay. I just need to allow myself to be "peeled" film by sheet, by tier, by strata...by layer. Sometimes in life, none or just a little is revealed. Other times momentous, cataclysmic circumstances violently chop off multiple layers in my person.

There is a poem by Gertrude Jefferies which reverberates in me:

"Under construction! He's working on me.
Shaping my life as He wants it to be. 
Precept upon precept, line upon line.
Purging the dross until His image shines."