Sunday, November 13, 2011

My New Favorite Flower







Yes, the luscious, vibrant clusters of the showy Hydrangea -- that's the one. Coming from an interview one late morning last week, i chanced upon a very small stall of plants at the neighborhood mall. The Hydrangea was difficult to miss as the flowers were the only bright petals among the nondescript assortment of house plants there. 

They seemed to call out to me. And loud. I could not resist. At that point i needed their energy. I needed the life they had. They seemed to reassure me that i would be alright, and that the path i am taking -- albeit unfamiliar, is going to be fine.

I purchased one plant still in its black polythene plastic bag. Would have wanted to buy a couple more but i was taking public transport home. We immediately bonded as it spoke a thousand and one stories from each of its petals. They each knew my name. Whenever i look out from the kitchen window into our backyard garden, we exchange notes. I exhale from the deep that which i am afraid to express to creatures of my kind, while they listen without judgment. It is no wonder that this flower stands for friendship, devotion, and understanding. The name comes from the Greek word that means vessel. Myself, a vessel, empty as it is, will draw inspiration from the Hydrangea.