Monday, November 7, 2011

One Flew Over the Nest


Irene Corey


I think i may be developing a compulsion to collect bird knick knacks, bird images, bird stuffed toys. But this must be clipped, lest i  amass dust-gatherers. Ewww.

As of last posting the avian theme has strongly inserted itself into my psyche. 

Thought bubbles floating around in my head: flying the coop, spreading the wings, learning to fly, trying out one's wings, not under our wings...

This is why: one of my sons has made the move to live independently, yup. Alone, fending and taking total responsibility for himself. He is of age. When i was his age i couldn't wait to take on that freedom...the challenge of being accountable to only myself. I left home to live in a dorm in Refugee Camp upon being accepted for a teaching position. It was exhilarating! I see the same in my son's eyes.

Embarking on his own life, he is thrilled.

How do papa and mama birds feel when this happens? My brain says, yes, it's about time -- for him to go out into the world and conquer it, learn what it means to be a responsible adult. We are confident that he has been equipped with the necessary life skills to survive. We are actually proud that he initiated everything. He is street smart. He's got chutzpah, this one. 

But the heart of the matter -- is heart breaking due to some sense of loss. No more "child". The transition has happened (of course, not just now) to full adult --- officially, that is. The Empty Nest Syndrome we have been feeling these last couple of years, i must say --- but more of a joke between myself and my husband. Now, the reality has begun. The sad feelings are slowly trickling in.


This is a comforting thought:


The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence."
 - Denis Waitly



One guy said that leaving home in a sense involves a kind of second birth in which we give birth to ourselves.   Happy Birthday, son! May this new chapter usher in a better you. Walk in wisdom's steps. Contribute to the good in the world. God bless you.

And to me in this new phase, the same prayer.

Today. Day 1.