Tuesday, October 2, 2012

La Hoya Carnosa


My fingers once squeezed these fleshy flowers and leaves out of sheer delight. Its waxy and leathery feel made it seem unreal, like plastic. Do you also have that compulsion, to touch and pinch flowers and plants to find out if they are real or fake? My mother, a consummate gardener once caught me doing just that and reprimanded me by pinching my butt. Not that i did not appreciate the beauty of the plant -- i just wanted confirmation.

What also struck me about the flowers were the stars in the middle which i tried to delicately extract so that i could pin them to my ear lobes as earrings. I wish i had this climbing on my porch now. We used to have it on trellis in our garage back in the province. Come to think of it, i have not seen such plants for a long, long time now.

  • More known as the Wax plant or Porcelain flower, the Hoya as my mother called it (she liked to familiarize herself with scientific names ) is found to be an air purifier around the house.