Wednesday, October 3, 2012

White Ginger




Tropical storm again in these islands. The rains are once more doing their job of getting the dust off the air, the dirt off the streets, and gifting us with a whiff of negative ions. What's more, the White Ginger flowers are only happy to come out in wet weather.

Known locally as the Camia, its delicate white petals are extraordinarily ambrosial. I included the blurry shot for you to imagine it giving off its perfume.


Here's how i got my stash today: husband and i went to market together. In the fish section of all places, i smell something pleasant. I look down and i see a little girl hawking the last of her garlands to me so that she may have money to buy snacks for school tomorrow. I was only too glad to oblige. Helping a kid earn while combating fish smells, at the same time having the senses of touch and smell gratified. Good stuff.

In Cuba, the Camia is known as the Mariposa Blanca or White Butterfly Flower. I can imagine women in the olden days donning the blooms as perfume. Today, one need only go to their favorite beauty supply outlets to get lotions and colognes in variants of this scent.