Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Lights

Flower Lights
Photo by mynameislawrence's photos on Flickr

My heart quickens the moment i hear the first strains of traditional Christmas carols being played in shopping centers, over the radio, and on tv. It is as if i am transported back to those well-preserved memories of Christmases past.

It is easy to be caught up in the frenzy of the holidays. There are thousand and one things to buy or wish i could buy. I squeeze in more time to get to all those parties...get doubly stressed with all the preparations. All these and more leave me gasping year after year after year.

After i bring out the special lights to unwind the cords, dust them off and check for any busted bulbs, i pause. I ask myself how this Christmas will be different -- inside.

Is there any part of me that is not blinking happily anymore? Any busted hopes or dreams? Any short-circuited relationships that need mending? I could go on looking or simply let leave alone and instead focus on the fleeting and the temporary. What kind of lights shall i uphold?

This Christmas i will focus more on the truly important stuff like love, peace and contentment, encouragement and service to others. I offer this light as a tribute to Him whose birth we celebrate.