Friday, December 3, 2010

Grace in Hard Places

Hard hearts, hard stone faces. Hard life, hard existence.

I know of folks going through tough times. Some are embittered by the sheer weight of their troubles. Many have lost the joy of living. To them, there is nothing worth looking forward to. And they face the world with clenched teeth and fists.

I don't need to look far. I have been on that road many times.

Dear friends told me once that there is no problem given to us without a gift in it, that we only need to look for the redeeming value in every seemingly negative situation.

Perspective. Those words have been faithful companions to me in my journey.

Insight. When i am truly open and ready to gain clarity, even nature cooperates. There is something about plants that persist in crevices, blossoms that flourish on cracks. Tree saplings that manage to prosper on walls despite the lack of space for roots -- these never fail to catch my attention. I marvel at these things. They have transcended, beaten, overcome the odds. Inspiration.

Like those who are still deep in their battles yet manage to do good. Wounded, yet healing others. Grace. In hard places.


Photo by Scootzsx's Photos on Flickr

Plant in the wall
Photo by Imran Arshad's Photos on Flickr

Wall climber
Photo by hdrdoc's photos on Flickr