Friday, September 23, 2011

Fanciful



Was craving for cake today. It is that time of the month. I am glad that my husband shared with me his sans rival, a take home surprise given by our youngest son. Sweet! on all counts: the cake, the hubby, and our son. Such are the simple joys that make me heave a sigh of contentment.

Seeing the intricately cut paper cake doily, i reminisced on an old bundle of letters between my dad and my mom. As a little girl i used to climb up our green steel file cabinet and pry into its contents. In my quest for interesting things to behold, i chanced upon that bundle, keepsakes of two people in love. What caught my fancy was a beautiful love letter written by my father to my mother. I do not remember what the exact words were but i have imprinted in my mind the resourcefulness and thoughtfulness of a man who recognized the beauty of that doily and used it as a wonderful porter of his expressions.