Friday, September 9, 2011

Reflections


"I think the mirror should be tilted slightly upward when it`s reflecting life -- toward the cheerful, the tender, the compassionate, the brave, the funny, the encouraging, all those things -- and not tilted down to the gutter part of the time, into the troubled vistas of conflict."  ~ Greer Garson

Went back to Chapter 11 of Melody Beattie's book.  To those of you who are in recovery or recovery work/service this would be very familiar. Chapter 11 is entitled Have a Love Affair With Yourself. I am guessing that many in our midst have a disintegrated self-worth, sabotaging their own selves with everything that negates the goodness of who they are. I am one of them. Why i beat myself up for lot of things beats me.  What i have been neglecting to do is to honor myself. As the book says, i need to give myself a big emotional and mental hug and eschew those that eat away at my perception of who i am. This is not to say that i do not acknowledge my weaknesses. It is just that i will not allow them to override my strengths.