Sunday, October 23, 2011

You. Me. -- Artist

"Most of us are uncomfortable thinking of ourselves as artists...But each of us is an artist...With every choice, every day, you are creating a unique work of art. Something that only you can do...The reason you were born was to live your own indelible mark on the world. This is your own authenticity...Respect your creative urges...step out in faith...you will discover your choices are as authentic as you are. What is more, you will discover that your life is all that it was meant to be: a joyous sonnet of thanksgiving."

                        ~Sarah Ban Breathnach, Simple Abundance


So encouraged after reading the passage from Simple Abundance. I am often teased by my sons about my being an artist --- not because of any form of art i create but because of their perceived moodiness in me. I do have it in my veins --- the painful urge to make something one may call art. Sometimes i dabble in sewing crafts, put together some collages as cards for encouragement, and at times -- i dream of being able to make leather or fabric-covered journals.  On some days, i wish i could paint.

I realize that i have not given the respect due these urges. They have only been suspended in the hazy cloud of mere ideas. Long have they been wanting to be given birth to, i suspect. 

Yet art or no art --- my daily living is a showcase of how i enflesh the possibilities offered me by my Creator, the Great Artist.  I choose to live purposefully, vibrantly, with courage and  faith to get me going. 

A joyous sonnet of thanksgiving --- that's my kind of life.