Monday, March 21, 2011

Chasing Serenity

Miracle of a flower

It is another Monday. A new morning. A new week.

Looking back at the week that just came to a close is bittersweet -- the highs, the lows, and all else in between. Can't have enough of talking about the recent upheavals in nature and the sweetness of humanity arising from it -- heartbreaking stories that pinch the soul. Then there's big unrest in the Middle East -- the stories there are equally jolting.

I can concern myself with global issues yet my local concerns can be at par in degree of disturbance. And if i get selfish (which is more often than not) all i am affected by is solely the sphere within my immediate reach, not wanting to share in the pain (and misery) of others.

Then there is me. I get distressed with myself for getting easily offended, easily hurt -- then catch myself being self-righteous and puffed up with pride. Very cunning and seductive this is. It steals my joy and prohibits me from caring, making me judgmental rather than compassionate.

Lest i dwell on the ugly things that have already passed -- deals done and best learned from, i must celebrate the miracles of life -- those who have survived the rubble, the collapse and the wash out of everything secure. I rejoice in the success of projects. I am thrilled to always hear the early morning twitter of birds. I look back with fondness at the rare glimpses of egrets in the countryside these two weekends we had. The week that was was not a wash out, not a waste.

If i look closely, through the filter of gratitude -- i can be serene.

It is my choice.