Thursday, March 10, 2011

Staycation

quietly

Hit the space bar. Press the pause button. Take time out for yourself.

I grew up with a family who lived simply. Going out of town in summertime called for much budgeting and planning. Those trips were much awaited and were always memorable --- mostly because we spent our vacations in the northern part of the country with our cousins.

Today, having a family of my own -- we have our share of memorable trips to different places with our kids and friends --- that takes a considerable amount to stage. I love checking out must-see sites. Long leisurely drives are fun for me. But mostly I enjoy the lazy mornings, afternoons and evenings with no agenda --- free-wheeling --- sleeping, eating and chatting up with friends. Even now, the image of the beach, and the memory of wind in my face pops up.

Vacations need not be expensive. Or few and far between. Between me and myself, i can always schedule one.

All i need is a bed with clean sheets, a good book, a cup of tea, some soft soothing music, and solitude. And with grace, some rain. Perfect.