Friday, January 13, 2012

Bringing Up Ms. Me

By Elizabeth Silk

By Donna

Comfort by Henry Asencio

"In pieces, in a pile on the floor, with no idea how to go forward, your expectations of the future are meaningless. Your stories about the past do not apply. You are in flux, you are changing, you are flowing in a new way, and this is an incredibly powerful opportunity to become new again: to choose how you want to put yourself back together. Confusion can be an incredible teacher—how could you ever learn if you already had it all figured out?" - JulieJCPeters

First came across these words shared by a friend on Facebook. It struck me like a big jab on the head that forcibly let those chunks of memories tumble out... memories of those times when i curled up in fetal position from the hurricane within me and from the raging storm going on in my  world.

I look back and i think "wow!" I made it through each one of them. When i first had a taste of how life could be so hard and overcame -- i knew i was stronger. "What could be more difficult?" Yet one after another the challenges came like powerful torrents --- and after each one i would say the same: "What could be more difficult?" I used to think how i must have kidded myself, or worse -- deceived myself. Here's what's in my book: child sexual abuse victim, witnessing an infidelity, death by cancer of a loved one, abandonment by a lover when i got pregnant, child out of wedlock, addiction, marital problems, suicide, another addiction, dissolved friendships, debt. But hey, am still up. And the good news: i always had the choice, and still have the choice, and the power to put myself back together the way i want. True, confusion can be an incredible teacher. Life IS an incredible educator and trainer. Yet i can never claim that i  have it all figured out. My education is one lifelong attempt.